A roller shutter is a type of gate shutter that consists of many horizontal bars that are hinged together, and the door is raised to open the hinges and lowered to shut it. It may also be automatic or motorized. Roller shutter doors are most commonly used in industrial establishments or commercial enterprises. Roller shutter doors protect the windows and doors from theft, vandalism or burglary attempts and provide additional security and safety to the enterprise. They are not commonly found in domestic installations but may be used in garages or storage yards.
Types of shutter doors
There are multiple types of roller shutter doors. Some of them are:
- Built in: the shutter box in this mechanism is built into the window and consumes very little space.
- Integrated: The shutter and the window are combined as a single unit and there is no attachment of a shutter separately either on top or on the window or the door.
- Manual: These are pulled down or lifted through labour and usually operated by a cranked and winding handle.
- Electric: an electric device such as a motor is fitted within the roller making the roller shutter door automatic.
- Semi-electric and semi-manual: an electric operator might be fixed, but partly electric and partly manual roller shutters require a mechanical push for the electric component to activate.
Advantages of roller shutters:
- Provide significant protection against burglary and theft: Roller shutters are usually extremely safe and secure and provide ample protection against vandalism, burglary, and theft. They are harder to breach than normal doors and provide a good block ensuring that people cannot breach the premises where they are installed.
- Guard against the weather: Roller shutters are usually made of metals like wrought iron or are aluminium roller shutters.They, therefore, guard against the wind, sand, rains and other unpredictable weather conditions.
- They are easy to operate: The main advantage of roller shutters is that they are extremely easy to operate and don’t require too much expertise or technical know-how to operate.
- Sturdy and Strong: aluminium roller shuttersor other roller shutters made of strong metals that provide a strong and sturdy protective installation.
- Good investment: though the initial cost of installation may seem expensive, considering the cost over a period of time and the amount of security and safety that roller shutters provide, they are extremely good investments especially for those enterprises and establishments requiring a lot of security.
- Privacy: For those locations that require privacy, rolling shutters may be a great option as well as they shield windows and other open spaces from prying eyes.
They also require less upkeep and expertise to operate compared to other forms of gates that offer high security. The materials that they are made of also ensure that they cannot be unhinged, dismantled, broken or damaged easily. For any person looking to amp up the security either for their homes or for their businesses, rolling shutters must be considered seriously.